Why Washington High School Should Have a Coffee Shop

Coffee in High School

September 24, 2020

“Today, nearly four in 10 American teens drink coffee, according to the NCA’s research. Even some local schools are getting into the act, selling coffee to students with in-school coffee shops or vending machines.” – National Coffee Association

I love coffee. I enjoy cups of coffee every morning and it’s almost a must by now because when I don’t drink it I feel drowsy and I can’t focus. I’m sure any other people who drink coffee on a regular basis can relate. Lots of schools have a  place to get coffee in their cafeteria, but Washington High School doesn’t. This begs the question: Why doesn’t WHS have a place for students to get coffee? 

Some mornings I wake up and I’m late for school. I’m still really tired, and since I’m already late, I don’t have time to get coffee. This means I have to go to school groggy and unfocused. This exact scenario happened to me one morning and I just thought, “You know what? We should have a coffee shop at the school”. Just think how many times you’ve been running late and wanna stop for coffee before school. If a coffee shop was opened, you could just go straight to school and get coffee. I think this would be a great addition to Massillon Washington High School. Plenty of students and even teachers want coffee in the morning. This makes it so they have to go to Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or Tremont Coffee Co. These are more expensive and also forces people to make another stop before coming to school, which could potentially result in them being late.

The school could benefit from this too. It would bring in money from kids in the morning, as well as concessions from  volleyball games, basketball games, and other indoor sports. The parents at events would love to have coffee sold at events. My dad and many other adults drink coffee everywhere they go. 

If a coffee shop was added to the school, it could grow into a bigger operation. There could be mugs, shirts, and thermoses. This could become a big thing for DECA, just like they do with the cookies in the school store. I think that this will be a big hit moving forward. It’s something that’s exciting and new, and it could also bring in lots of money. 

“That’s a great idea, and I don’t even drink coffee.” said Brayden Geier. “It could benefit students and make them more productive because coffee  has caffeine and makes you more awake.”