“It was a beautiful September morning with a blue sky… just a normal day.”

September 11, 2020

Today marks the 19th anniversary of the horrific terrorist attacks on the United States in New York City, Washington D.C., and Shanksville, PA – September 11, 2001.

Members of the Washington High School staff shared their stories of where they were when the United States was attacked by terrorists.

Mr. Hackenbracht- U.S. History: “I was teaching eighth grade us history in Beaumont, TX and we were getting ready to take class of 8th graders on a field trip to Lamar University. Right before it was time to go, I was walking down the hallway and the librarian called me into the library and asked me if I saw the news and saw what was going on. I walked in and watched a little bit of it. We then decided to cancel our field trip because of what was going on. I also remember it was a Tuesday because I was an 8th grade football coach and we had a football game that afternoon. We still played the game and we won, and the kids were really excited and didn’t really understand what was going on. I don’t think it really hit home until they got home later that night and when we talked about it the next day.”

Ms. Bushman- English 11: “I was three years old and I was in preschool. My parents took me out of preschool and I knew something was really wrong…even though I was three years old. I remember watching the planes go into the towers on the news and I was really scared and I didn’t know what was happening. My dad’s cousin was in the second tower and he got out, but he was on the 60th floor. He got a phone call from his buddy who said, `Something just happened. I think there was an explosion next door, so you need to get out.’ He got out in time and he’s safe and still alive to this day. But that’s where I remember it was really scary.”

Mrs. Hoffman- French: I was second mod, which was my conference mod. I walked into Mrs. Hatheway’s room and she said, ‘have you seen the televisions?’ I said, ‘No, what are you talking about?’ And that’s when she told me what happened. We were told to turn the TV’s off but we did watch the second tower fall live. I remember the next day it was so quiet outside. There were no planes anywhere…There were no flights that were taking off. And that was about a good week and a half. It was so quiet because we were right near the Akron-Canton airport where they fly over top of us all the time.”

Mr. Calhoun- English 10, Honors English, Film and Literature: “I was sitting in my freshmen American History class at Green (High School) and the government teacher from next door came in and told my teacher what happened. So he turned on the TV and we watched the second plane hit. Then that was it for the day of school. We split from class to class and watched it on TV. It was just kind of a surreal feeling. It’s impossible to describe watching something like that. It was unbelievable.”

Mrs. Dye, English 9: “I was a sophomore in high school and I was in geometry class when the first plane hit and I walked down and my one friend was crying and that’s how I found out what had happened.”

Mr. Burt- U.S. Government/World History: I was in kindergarten. I was young,  like five years old, but I remember coming home with my mom and we walked in the house and I looked downstairs. The TV was on and she started freaking out. I was too young to understand, but I remember seeing on the TV specifically, a plane hit the tower. I can still remember it to this day. “I didn’t understand it. I remember the visual, but not any of the meaning behind it.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to ““It was a beautiful September morning with a blue sky… just a normal day.””

1. Rosario Nail on September 11th, 2020 2:17 pm

Nice job with your interviews. I know it’s been 19yrs. since this happened, but I only need to see a picture or video and the visuals and terror will return full force. I pray that our Country never has to go through something like this again and pray that our country can come back together, the way we did back then. God bless America and all Americans.

2. Athena on September 13th, 2020 1:35 pm

I enjoyed reading where & how this tragic event in our history impacted one another that day 19 years ago. Good job kiddos!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Tiger Eye News • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in