My Experience Writing for the Newspaper

Taylor Grant, Tiger Eye News Editor-in-Chief

The first week of school is always a stressful, confusing, and chaotic experience, but this year all of those are increased tenfold. I was doing my best to relax before the first day when I received a text. I was one of three students in Northeast Ohio given the opportunity to write a first-hand account of the first week of school. I accepted the request without hesitation. I then went back to my day and prepared myself for my first day.

Once the first day arrived, I had started to regret my decision. The deadline was 10 p.m. on Wednesday and I still had no idea what I wanted to write. I was already completely stressed out from school itself and didn’t know if I’d be able to get the story done on time. I was considering emailing the writer that contacted me and telling her I couldn’t do it. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that I didn’t want to let myself and others down. I’ve wanted to be a writer for a long time, and this was my chance to try and get my name out. I had already told my friends and family all about it. Even though it was added stress, I knew there was no way that I could give up on something I’ve wanted for years.

I finally sat down to write on Tuesday evening. I had been through two full school days and felt that I had a big enough picture to write my story. I struggled a lot at first. I wrote my first paragraph over and over and over. I was never happy with what I was writing. I decided to take a break and step back. I made myself a coffee and put on some music then got back to work. I suddenly had a burst of inspiration. I managed to write and edit my entire story within a few hours. It felt like an enormous weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I had the story done, and more importantly, I was proud of it. I sent my story off to the writer from the Repository and sat back to wait for the day my story would be published. 

After almost four days of waiting, Saturday finally arrived. While I had breakfast, my mom went out to buy the paper. I was on the edge of my seat. I couldn’t wait to see how my story had been laid out in the paper. When I finally got to see the paper, it was surreal. That was my story. It was in a newspaper for thousands of people to read. All the stress was worth it. I had never been so proud of myself before. This was such an amazing opportunity and I hope I get a chance to write for the paper again someday soon. 

My story is available to read online in the Massillon Independent. The link is available to read here.