The coronavirus has the public on high alert!

Coronavirus Concerns Could Compromise Classes

March 11, 2020

With the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Massillon City School administrators are taking precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of staff and students in the school district.

A letter sent out March 11th by Massillon City Schools superintendent Paul Salvino to students, parents and guardians explained that in keeping with the advice a recommendation from Governor Mike DeWine, the Stark County Health Department, and the Ohio Department of Health, K-through-12 schools will remain open but parents and students should make preparations for the possibility of needing to stay home with their children for remote learning.

Because of the coronavirus outbreak, planned extracurricular activities at WHS have been canceled including all CTE competitions and field trips, as well as the DECA cruise to the Bahamas. The WHS administration is working closely with local health departments to keep staff, students, and families up to date on the situation.

According to a statement by Stark County Health Department Commissioner Kirkland K. Norris, there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Stark County as of March 10th, 2020.

As the virus continues to spread, it is highly recommended to maintain proper hygiene in order to prevent further contamination. People using daily classroom items such as desks, doorknobs, and computers are at risk of spreading the virus. According to the newsletter, custodial staff will continue to regularly clean and disinfect classrooms and common areas.”

In order to protect yourself and others it is advised to follow these necessary precautions:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.  If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Stay home when you are sick and do not return to work or school until you have been fever-free without the use of fever-reducing medication for at least 24 hours.
  • Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash; if tissues aren’t available, cough or sneeze into the inside of your elbow.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.