Stand Up and Cheer for Our Village Idiots

November 26, 2019

We got spirit (what), but who’s got the most spirit? You can probably find these individuals in front of the crowd painted up from head to toe, starting stand chants, and promoting tiger pride. The Village Idiots are a group of upperclassmen boys who flaunt their school spirit every Friday night by dawning silly costumes and replacing clothes for body paint even at the coldest of football games. All in the name of tiger pride. 

The Village Idiots, often shortened to just VI’s, consists of captain Kolton Moll with fellow senior boys Erroll Isaiah, Ethan Fox, Ethan Smith, Fynn McGuire, Gavin Sampsell, Tj Harper, and Zach Reed as well as junior and future captain Blayze Patt.

The Village Idiots say yee haw! As they show off their hillbilly paint job at the Louisville game.

Only the senior boys with the most school spirit have the opportunity to hold the title of being a Village Idiot as they are hand selected by their captain. These students are in charge of choosing themes for the student section at football games. Some of the popular themes including U.S.A, jersey week, and even hillbillies.

“It’s awesome,” says senior Fynn McGuire, “Being a VI is like being in a brotherhood.” Fellow senior Ethan Fox concurs and says,  “The best part is making memories with the guys that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.”

However, it’s not just all fun and games being the leaders of the student section, they have also taken the time to take one of their youngest fans under their wing as an honorary captain. Chris Piatt, a 10 year old suffering from spina bifida and hydrocephalus, is the VI’s number 1 fan. 

Captain Kolton describes how the young boy came to be apart of the Village Idiots as, “Early in the season we noticed a young boy in a wheel chair who always gave us high fives and had a smile on his face when he was around us. When we found out he looked up to us, we began to make Chris apart of the Village Idiots by making him a custom t shirt and we even gave him an autographed photo. We love doing things like this because not only does it make us feel good, but it shows that the Village Idiots care about more than just the game.” 

Chris is pictured smiling proud after receiving his title of honorary student section captain.

Although this group of young men is often overlooked because of the theatricality and silliness that comes with the title. However, the Village Idiots are definitely a unique tradition to Massillon that is sure to last for years to come.