Victory At Last; Down Goes The Pups!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Victory At Last; Down Goes The Pups!

They saved the best for last.

The Washington High School girls soccer team had its struggles all season and entered the last game of the season without any wins. But when it mattered most, the girls rose to the occasion against bitter rival Canton McKinley and defeated the Bulldogs for a 1-0 victory. The win was the first in two seasons for the Lady Tigers.

“I felt like we won the state championship,” said first-year head coach Jennifer Fromholtz. “I couldn’t stop smiling for hours.”

Sophomore forward/mid-fielder Emma Peltier scored the winning goal. “It was great, I was so happy,” Peltier said. Junior goalkeeper Zora Ladd had a tremendous match with 10 saves.

After a scoreless first half, Fromholtz remained optimistic. “I was confident we would win. (I felt) we were still in it.”

After an inspirational halftime speech by Fromholtz and support from assistant coach Tanna Sebrell, the Tigers came back with a new fire in the second half and Peltier’s goal was the difference.

“This win gave the girls a glimmering of hope like ‘Oh my God, we can win’,’’ Fromholtz said.

Starters against McKinley were seniors Deja Benjamin, Jamie Chance, Olivia Priest and Precious Shamburger; juniors Anna Berry, Zora Ladd, Madison Moyer, and Mikiya Smith, and sophomores Molly Gatsios, Emma Peltier, and Lexi Skyllas.

Other team players included seniors Brook Hogue, Kariah Green, and Jayda Patterson, juniors Kennedy Fisk, Morgan Barlow, sophomores Rachel Evanoff, Jillian Casselberry, Jayda Harrison, and freshmen Aisha Omar and Jillian Lightfoot.